Monday, December 22, 2008

Studio-rama #2

SENSATIONS is now finished. I have been wrapping up several pieces as I ready to pack my tools in anticipation of teaching a two-week workshop in Queensland on January 7th. This has been a fertile time at the bench. I guess with all the child-care focus (we've got 2-year-old twins as well as a 10-year-old), my output comes in fits and starts. Add to that the fact that it has been some time since I allowed myself the time to play, and it is plain that I am bristling with avenues to explore.

A page from a beautiful 1790 book detailing the trial of Warren Hastings
will drape over the back of the can.


The splits allow for the paper to conform to the uneven surface.


A dove perches in the center.


Creating the bail, or hanging mechanism of the pendant,
out of 8-guage steel wire. A bit of grunting is obligatory here.




Creating the terminals for the leather cord.


The clasp, in progress.



The clasp, complete - a giant, oversized finish to the neckpiece.
I'm really loving this heavy steel wire - twice the guage of my beloved rebar wire.


SENSATIONS. Materials: Sterno can, steel wire, Victorian yellow glass, copper, crab claw, Labradorite, steel tack, color lithograph from 1880's, epoxy resin, book paper (c.1790), steel-point engraving (1850's), leather, paper, text, soil.


Have a lovely holiday, everyone! Thanks for looking.
- Keith


12 comments:

  1. This is amazing Keith Thanks for sharing.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours and a Happy and Creative 2009
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a manly piece. Looks like you had fun making it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Holidays to you as well. Wonderful post. Thanks for sharing these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!It seemes you would need the 2 weeeks off after bending that wire-amazing.
    Happy Holidays to you and the family.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm struggling to find the rebar wire, now where in the heck do you get 8 gauge? Have a very happy new year and an even more successful 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow. Especially love the layering and obscuring the face to just a hint of what was there. Bravo! Thanks a kazillion for sharing, Keith!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is wonderful. I know an artist in California named Lu LoBue -- any chance you're related?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautifully industrial. Your work is very inspiring Keith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Thanks for showing the process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your work. I was experimenting with found-object work for a while. Being a packrat, it was easy to find good things to use. Actually, I was combining digital work with found objects. But in a remodeling project that is still incomplete, we moved a ton of stuff into my workspace, so for the time being, i am confined to my computer for my creative outlet. I just started a series on my blog called "The Creative Process" where I am showing/explaining how I created a particular piece or group of works. I've done 3, so far, more to come. I taught school forever, in the U.S. and Brazil, everything from kindergarden to community college, so I became interested in every medium imaginable. But I admit I don't seem to think as well in 3D as I do in 2D, so I was never much good with jewelry or sculpture. Thus, I admire your work even more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pieces are amazing! I collect a lot of old rusty objects from my family's farm and have a large collection of my grandmother's costume jewelry. I keep thinking one day I will figure out what to do with some of these things, your images are inspiring. But as a mommy to 3 year old twins time is very limited. I'm hoping to take one of your classes in the US in the future!

    ReplyDelete